Just Pat

"...all language about everything is analogical; we think in a series of metaphors. We can explain nothing in terms of itself, but only in terms of other things." (Dorothy Sayers, Mind of the Maker, 1941)

My Photo
Name:
Location: West Michigan

Thursday, November 11, 2004

The Construction Chronicals, Part 2

I've got to get out of public health. There's no real do-re-me money in it. You know where it is? I just found out.



(No, it's not me in the photo and not my plumber, but cool photo, right?)

Oh.
My.
Gosh.

I had no idea. None. And this plumber was going easy on me because he's a good guy (yes, really) and he knows my resources are limited.

It's going to cost me more to run a drain pipe to the attic, run to the toilet and shower area and t-d to the kitchen, than the price I'm refusing to pay for finished kitchen cabinets up there. More than one of my paychecks before taxes. More than my heating bills for the year.

I just watched my deposit walk out the door. It hurt to say goodby to that check, but we had to part. There's no escaping it. An apartment needs a toilet.

I should have been a plumber.

I've calmed down now, but I have this urge to play Donkey Kong and run Mario into those little barrels over and over again.

2 Comments:

Blogger FemmeMode said...

somebody will thank you....

and you won't have to share that HUGE bathroom with anyone! (oh, I'm talking the one on the second floor!LOL...)

3:16 AM  
Blogger Pat said...

No, they'll never thank me. Can you see me showing the apartment to a prospective renter, opening the bathroom door and proudly announcing, "And this third floor apartment has a toilet!"

6:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

|

Powered by Blogger

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com