Just Pat

"...all language about everything is analogical; we think in a series of metaphors. We can explain nothing in terms of itself, but only in terms of other things." (Dorothy Sayers, Mind of the Maker, 1941)

My Photo
Name:
Location: West Michigan

Tuesday, February 01, 2005

The Construction Chronicles Part 7



A lot has happened since Part 6 of the chronicles. Pastor Paul finished the mudding, sanding, and texturing of the attic. It's amazing to stand up there and think that it was just rafters and OSB a few months ago. It's white and clean!

Well, not really "clean." But it sure beats dirt and bird crap.

I've got the kitchen cabinets - waiting for two that were back-ordered. Got the trim for around the doors and windows. Bought the refrigerator. Got the primer and paint.

That's the next step, the paint. I love, love to paint! It's relaxing, and makes such a dramatic difference in a room in a hurry.

On another subject, I've been thinking a lot about family. I'm missing my family up north. My mom will be 70 in April, my aunt and uncle are both having hip replacement surgery soon, and the last of my Grandma's siblings died two weeks ago. I couldn't attend the funeral. I've got neices and nephews growing up without me, and a great-nephew who was just starting to walk at Christmas time.

I wish I could pick up my house, my friends, my church, my job, and take them all up north so I can have it all. But, we don't get to do that - we've got to choose. I choose staying here, because I feel rooted here. I feel I've been placed here, for reasons of which I'm only partially aware. And, it feels like home here. But, the deep down familiarity that comes from relationships from childhood is up north. I even miss the disfunction of us. The "Oh, yeah, that's how we do things."

The long and short of it is, I'm thankful I have family to miss.

2 Comments:

Blogger FemmeMode said...

I miss you....
{{{{}}}}

3:46 AM  
Blogger Pat said...

I miss you too, sweet friend!

7:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

|

Powered by Blogger

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com