Just Pat

"...all language about everything is analogical; we think in a series of metaphors. We can explain nothing in terms of itself, but only in terms of other things." (Dorothy Sayers, Mind of the Maker, 1941)

My Photo
Name:
Location: West Michigan

Monday, June 13, 2005

The Construction Chronicles, Part 18

Or, "Snip, Snip, Snip"

The latest and greatest at the JustPat zone has to do with the removal of excess. Like a mega hair cut. Don't worry friends - I wouldn't cut my hair without telling you first. That will be celebrated with bugles and confetti, I promise.

First, the bolts that hold the toilet in place received the hack saw treatment so the obscure egg-like-bolt-cover-uppers could hide what was left of the bolts. Question: have you ever had a toilet that didn't have those cover-uppers sitting crooked on the bolt and/or not adequately doing their cover-upper thingie? All my toilets have had that problem. Which begs the question - why are we cover-upping our bolts?

Second, the
door of a thousand scars has been cut off at the toes. Headless was witness to the amputation (uh...hem...bad pun). When carpet is installed on floor #2, attic door must close properly. So, 3/4 inch of door went to be with Jesus.


Third, Randy's Tree Removal showed up today. Laurel and Cedar also went to meet their maker, to rest in peace with the
tree of heaven.



Now, I have wide open spaces! I have room for gardens - well, someday, when I get the heck out of the house - and best of all, I can see my house. It doesn't look like much now, but in my imagination I see paradise down the road...



I'm undergoing a bit of internal trimming at the moment, too. When one takes on too much too soon, one spills over. I can't go into all the reasons for the pruning, because I don't understand them all myself, and - really - do we ever truly get all our reasons? I don't. But, I know that God has called me to quietness and rest, even in the midst of this project, my job, and my goals. I find that, by His grace, I have no choice but to be quiet and rest, and accept that goals will be realized in His time. The challenge for me is to rest in that zone of no choice.

3 Comments:

Blogger Jaden's Mom said...

I love that..."the zone of no choice". I think I've been there myself. :)

8:10 PM  
Blogger Pat said...

Yep, I'd say you have! :)

9:16 PM  
Blogger Hope said...

In a 'zone of no choice' here too. I need to have that tatooed on my forehead. I can get cranky about it from time to time.

7:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

|

Powered by Blogger

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com