Just Pat

"...all language about everything is analogical; we think in a series of metaphors. We can explain nothing in terms of itself, but only in terms of other things." (Dorothy Sayers, Mind of the Maker, 1941)

My Photo
Name:
Location: West Michigan

Monday, October 24, 2005

Construction Chronicles Part 23

This weekend was full of home repair wonders.

Friday morning began with a leak in my kitchen ceiling. After investigation this weekend it turns out the toilet flange on the third floor broke, and water streamed down the outside of the pipe and into the space between my kitchen ceiling and my second floor. The plumber is coming tonight to fix it. Help me Jesus...

In happier news, I learned how to glaze windows on Saturday. I'm not ashamed to say I did a pretty good job - it was fun! I replaced the glass in the four lower sashes of my bedroom. The first one took me an hour and a half, but I got better at it and the fourth one only took me forty minutes. I owe it all to a great website I found on glazing old wood windows.

Then, it was on to the bedroom to finish texturing and by golly, I finished. I may have burned out the gears in my drill from mixing the joint compound - I smelled something hot while I was mixing that wasn't putty and wasn't me.

This morning I began sanding the hallway walls, and made quite a bit of progress in twenty minutes, which was very encouraging. So close to paint again - I love paint!

Last week I ordered art glass for the upper sashes of my bedroom windows. I'm hoping it will be in this week so I can get the windows glazed - now that I'm experienced - this weekend.

On October 1, I was blessed by a wonderful group of friends who helped me rip out the remaining carpeting and subfloor on the second floor. It was hard, dirty work, and they were great about it and so much fun. My cast of all stars included Headless, Captain Wow, Kevmo, and three other angelic blogless super heroes. In six hours the floor was free of everything, including nails and staples.

So now, I'm camping out in the attic, which is great.












Well the plumber is here now working on the upstairs bathroom, and I'm down here wondering if I can safely use the first floor toilet...dang!

2 Comments:

Blogger Captainwow said...

Glindow wazing! wow. I'm impressed.
Great pics...

10:51 AM  
Blogger FemmeMode said...

Hey you!!!

4:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

|

Powered by Blogger

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com