Just Pat

"...all language about everything is analogical; we think in a series of metaphors. We can explain nothing in terms of itself, but only in terms of other things." (Dorothy Sayers, Mind of the Maker, 1941)

My Photo
Name:
Location: West Michigan

Tuesday, January 03, 2006

Construction Chronicles Part 28

Last weekend was fabulous. My friends came as they always do to celebrate the eve of the new year in my home. My sister and her husband, and a beloved couple stayed the night. The next day friends filtered in to eat leftovers, talk, and play board games while some of us watched movies or slipped off into sweet sleep.

My construction project is not done, but for the last four nights I have slept in my bedroom in my own bed for the first time in fourteen months. I have painted walls in my bedroom, the hallway, and the foyer. I have carpet in all my bedrooms. More is coming for the stairs. It's not done, but it's finished.

It doesn't take an eagle eye to see that I have a lot left to do. My bedroom window panes are missing. My sofa needs reupholstering. My pictures are not on the walls. My woodwork is not shellacked. But I live in a whole house that accommodates me and entertains others.

Isn't this like the Church of Jesus? A heap of twigs and twine becoming a dwelling for some and providing shelter for others along their way? We want to be a perfect house; we want to have all the answers, provide the perfect comfort, prescribe the perfect remedy, be the perfect us. But if we aren't careful we miss the reality that in spite of our imperfections we embody the irony of our Broken God.

I've learned something in the last three years as I've gratefully embraced my broken home and worked to restore it. I'm not even sure of all of it. But through this process I am affirmed in the knowledge that the love of God is eternal, that His mercies are everlasting, that His redemption is His joy, and that the Carpenter I worship never stops restoring His bride.

Just like an old house.

4 Comments:

Blogger Captainwow said...

Sleepin in your own bed! YAY!!
Technicolor carpet Gone! YAAY!!
Feelin groovy in yer own house! YAY!

3:25 PM  
Blogger Jaden's Mom said...

When I think of my most favorite memories, I don't recall whether or not the couch was perfectly upholstered, or the woodwork was beautiful and shiny, or the window panes were finished. I remember feelings of warmth and love and...wholeness. If someone can come into your home and find all of those things, then your home is beautiful and complete, even if it's not finished.

I spent New Year's eve with my Oasis family, and we were able to ring in the new year in a beautiful townhouse in downtown Traverse City. Everything about it was beautiful, even the purely utilitarian aspects of the house. But what made the night so wonder-full was not her beautiful house, but the love and the warmth that was so abundant when our little family gathered there. That is what will make new year's eve 2005/6 a memory I will cherish for years to come.

I haven't seen your house, other than what I see in these pictures here. But I have seen your heart, your love for people, your desire to make your house a place where love lives. And in that, your house is complete. You have given the love of Jesus expression through your home, and I think that makes it a showplace!

12:49 PM  
Blogger Pat said...

Thanks Stephanie and Wow. As you know, for me it's not just about having a nice house; it's about having a place for others to find security and belonging. In essence it's just lumber and screws, but in the spirit it's a sanctuary. Now to see how God uses it from here!

6:00 AM  
Blogger FemmeMode said...

"the Carpenter I worship never stops restoring His bride..."

What a beautiful thing to learn!!
The pictures are gorgeous!! I can't wait to see her (or should I say "them") in person!!!

11:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

|

Powered by Blogger

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com