Just Pat

"...all language about everything is analogical; we think in a series of metaphors. We can explain nothing in terms of itself, but only in terms of other things." (Dorothy Sayers, Mind of the Maker, 1941)

My Photo
Name:
Location: West Michigan

Sunday, May 15, 2005

The Construction Chronicles, Part 15



This weekend was a painting extravaganza. I painted pretty trim and ugly wasn't-trim-but-is-trim-now trim. I poly'd the kitchen cabinets where they still needed it. I filled the nailholes in the baseboard and added the final coat. The most obvious project: the stairwell.

It was an ugly stairwell. Even after the dangerous steps were replaced with reliable OSB, and the gappy wood planking on the walls was replaced with drywall - still it was grim. But after a couple hours of sanding, filling, washing, priming, countersinking, filling, sanding, priming and painting...it's as done as it's gonna get. Those that know me well will notice that I broke my own rule on this one - I used painting tape. Yes, I had to break down. The boards along the stairs were never meant to be trim; they're 100 years old and chunked up all to heck. So, we'll see if I made the right decision when I pull off the tape. Don't worry; I still believe there's no substitute for a good paint brush.

I also applied five coats of white rustoleum to the gray breaker box, to make it a little more cheery. We must have cheery electricity; utility is just not good enough now that the stairwell isn't ugly.



I also mudded and sanded the wall behind the kitchen sink. I must have inhaled some of the dust because I have a splitting headache.

Yesterday was my birthday - 43. Yippee!! Four and three equals seven, the number of perfection. Four minus three equals one - I'm number one!!! I received cards from my family, a call from Captain Wow, a philosphical mind-bending visit with Headless, and Cheryl Meryl put flowers in my porch pots. All day I had constant little reminders that I'm loved.

Next post, I hope I'm telling you a story about carpet installation. Yes, I'm that close...

5 Comments:

Blogger FemmeMode said...

Ok...Rustoleum - I know....and Cheryl Meryl...yep her too!

now for Headless....I could guess...but, better not.

I'm feeling dreadfully out of it.
Maybe because everyone is sleeping....

Just the same...I missed your BD...
I love you - Happy belated Birthday my sweet Patty!
“Then our mouth was filled with laughter, and our tongue with singing…The Lord has done great things for us and we are glad.”
Psalm 126:2-3

4:19 AM  
Blogger Pat said...

I love you too, Femme!
Yes, I have even more friends with handles. To protect their super secret identities, I'll fill you in when I see you.

6:39 AM  
Blogger Pat said...

Wait - you didn't miss my birthday. You sent me a cute e-card, remember?
I'M THE SHMUCK who hasn't kept track of YOUR birthday!

7:19 AM  
Blogger FemmeMode said...

Yep....I love love love those cutie guys....
but, I did MISS your Birthday....

(and got no special recognition...lol....just 'razzin' you my dear friend!)

1:00 PM  
Blogger Pat said...

Shorry!
:(

7:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

|

Powered by Blogger

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com