Just Pat

"...all language about everything is analogical; we think in a series of metaphors. We can explain nothing in terms of itself, but only in terms of other things." (Dorothy Sayers, Mind of the Maker, 1941)

My Photo
Name:
Location: West Michigan

Wednesday, August 10, 2005

The Construction Chronicles, Part 21

Will you forgive me if I continue to postpone the final pictures of the attic? It has been so hot here so consistently that I haven't done all the cleaning up there I want to do before I take pictures. But really, it's done. Yes, really. C'mon - it really is!

In the mean time, I've set up shop outside in my garage and driveway. I've been filling, sanding, and staining all that trim that the Amazing Grace Elephant Company stripped for me last fall. And guess what? Out of the blue, they called me last week and picked up the last bit of my trim that needed to be stripped! I had begun to strip that last batch, but it is so time consuming. It's well worth the few bucks they charge to have it ready for me to make pretty.

So, this was the scene last weekend:

















Fresh air makes it so much better. The door above is to my second floor bathroom. I have company coming this weekend, so wise girl that I am, I figured I'd better work on that one first. Gutsy, I know.

And then I filled and repaired...

























And then I sanded...
























And I stacked...























And in between, I got the door ready for shellac.














It's so gratifying being at this stage of the restoration project. I've been planning for this phase since spring of 2004. I've had all the materials necessary to complete the second floor - save carpeting and baseboard - for several months. I love, love making dry old wood look rich and glorious again.

I can't help thinking of God when I work on my house. I think of Ezekiel's valley of dry bones while I sand and fill and stain and finish. I think of the Shakers and their creativity, diverted from marital pleasures to design and function and beauty. I think of the forgotten, found. When I work on my house, I worship. I can't help it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

|

Powered by Blogger

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com