Just Pat

"...all language about everything is analogical; we think in a series of metaphors. We can explain nothing in terms of itself, but only in terms of other things." (Dorothy Sayers, Mind of the Maker, 1941)

My Photo
Name:
Location: West Michigan

Wednesday, May 19, 2004

Easy Does It

I haven't driven a standard shift vehicle for about 20 years. I learned how to drive back in the '70's, when schools were still tasked with drivers ed. I learned on an automatic, probably because the teachers were not thrilled with instructing rowdy, mindless teens how to drive in the summer on Saturdays at 7:00 a.m.

Last Sunday I bought a nice older truck from my good friends. It will not only be handy for hauling things from Home Depot to my house, but will also help support the brawny image I'm cultivating for myself with my cement busting project. (My other vehicle is a '92 Jaguar XJ6, which I've used to haul studs by keeping my rear window open and resting an end on the dash - a vision of mobile irony.)

You guessed it; the truck is not an automatic. So, the sale of the truck came with a complimentary driving lesson, which I received tonight. Seth was a very patient, encouraging instructor. And overall, I think I did pretty well.

It's funny how the cars are never around until you are letting out the clutch and starting to apply the gas. I'm telling you, I was a magnet. I was the vortex to which all cars in the universe were compelled. Do I sound paranoid? It was hilarious. Even Seth, on the way back to the safety of my garage, had bought into the superstition..."As soon as you ease off the clutch another car will come, so you might as well just go..."

I made a left turn onto a steep hill from a slight hill in third gear. Seth was impressed, so I guess that's a good thing.

Clutch in, first gear, let off brake, let off clutch slowly until it engages, ease onto the gas while easing off the clutch...oops, not enough gas. Start it up again, ease off clutch, apply the gas, oops. Start it up again, ease off, apply gas, lurch, okay...clutch in, second gear, ease off, apply gas, go. Oh no, stop sign...crap!

I think I'll get the hang of it without casualties.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

|

Powered by Blogger

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com