Just Pat

"...all language about everything is analogical; we think in a series of metaphors. We can explain nothing in terms of itself, but only in terms of other things." (Dorothy Sayers, Mind of the Maker, 1941)

My Photo
Name:
Location: West Michigan

Thursday, June 03, 2004

See Ya In Choich

Pastor Man John challenged us on Sunday to refuse to call our place of worship "church." He's brought it up before as a discussion point in Sunday school in the past, but his challenge on Sunday had more of a commission feel to it.

He said, next time we are asked where we go to church, we should reply,

"I AM the church."

Ha! I so like thinking about using that line on an unsuspecting subject! Of course, I probably will just think about it rather than run the risk of being taken into protective custody.

So, I want to think about this for a while. Language is important. When our words morph into a cultural meaning that is incorrect, our words need to change. If God does not dwell in a sanctuary made with hands, but makes his home in those who love him, then something is wrong with our language when we say we go to church, work at church, etc.

More later. I'm off to work. Think about this with me.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

|

Powered by Blogger

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com