Just Pat

"...all language about everything is analogical; we think in a series of metaphors. We can explain nothing in terms of itself, but only in terms of other things." (Dorothy Sayers, Mind of the Maker, 1941)

My Photo
Name:
Location: West Michigan

Monday, July 12, 2004

A Church Without Walls

I was back at my place of worship for the first time in almost a month yesterday. It was like jumping into a cool lake on a hot day. It was so great to worship God in song and prayer in the midst of my spiritual family. I knew I missed it, but I didn't realize how much until I was there. In Church.

I spoke with Pastor Man Daryl and Pastor Wife Deb on the way out the door, and selfishly took the opportunity to ask them to pray for my sister and brother-in-law. Well, I guess if I were really selfish, I'd ask them to pray I'll win the lottery...

My sister and brother-in-law have been pastoring for 21 years. They are loving, reasonable, honest people, and they work hard. Their church is in turmoil right now because a gentleman who has attended for quite a long time - well thought of, an elder - has decided that my brother-in-law has not reached out appropriately to two young men, who are no longer attending the church, because their wives divorced them and are still attending. He is gathering a following among those in the fellowship. He believes that my sister and brother-in-law have not dealt biblically with the situation, that they have not acted in love, and that they do not have the annointing of God.

Okay, I want to choke on that last sentence, for several reasons. First, as a Christian woman who is unfortunately twice divorced, I take offense at anyone who has the nerve to use the Holy Bible as a knife to twist in the gut of a wounded spouse or a pastor desparate to restore and bring peace. Please. There are more verses in the Bible about oppressing the downtrodden (thank you Daryl, and Amos), than there are about what the "biblical" grounds are for divorce. Those who are quick to judge most likely have not felt the depths of the pain. And, at least in my case, I can say that no one - NO ONE - but Jesus knows all the reasons why I am divorced. No one needs to. It would not be loving, nor ethical, nor Christian for me to divulge all the details. So, how would I appear to this gentleman? A harlot? A liar? A Jezebel? I hope not, for his sake. God is my only fear-worthy judge.

Second, acting in love means doing everything we can to promote the best interests of those we love. Even if it is uncomfortable. Even if it means misunderstanding. Rejection. Love has faith that when the best is done, the outcome will eventually be best. No one was in the counseling room with my brother-in-law and those young men, except the Lord. It would be inappropriate for my brother-in-law to defend himself by disclosing private conversation. He is now facing more misunderstanding, more rejection. And, he's enduring it. That is acting in love.

Third, all I have to say is, don't mess with folks who have given their lives to promote the kingdom of God. It makes me shiver for this guy, just thinking about it. Not that I think a lightning bolt will undoubtedly strike him down. No. But, what is the fate of a man who persecutes the very folks whose sole purpose in life is to feed his soul? He is devouring his own flesh.

Pastor Man Daryl always drops little pearls every time we speak. He said, it's a shame this guy doesn't just take it on himself to minister to these young men, without slamming the Church, and my brother-in-law. Now, that's a concept. That would imply that the Church is bigger than their little northern Michigan fellowship. That would imply that our ministry is as vital outside the walls of the building, as it is within. That just might mean that the pastor is not ultimately responsible for the fate of the sinner, the sick, the downtrodden; as if he were some feudal lord or CEO. That might mean that the walls are an illusion.

I don't know what has motivated this gentleman to such ugliness. I hurt for my sister, and my brother-in-law, and their kids, and the folks in their fellowship. After talking to Daryl, my anger over the situation turned a little toward concern; a little toward prayer; a little toward excitement for what's possible.

It was really great to be back. Thanks Daryl.

I don't play the lottery. Just in case you were wondering.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

|

Powered by Blogger

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com