Just Pat

"...all language about everything is analogical; we think in a series of metaphors. We can explain nothing in terms of itself, but only in terms of other things." (Dorothy Sayers, Mind of the Maker, 1941)

My Photo
Name:
Location: West Michigan

Monday, July 19, 2004

Inevitability

I watched The Matrix last night.  I watch it every once in a while, because I like it, and because I always pick up something I missed the last time I watched it.  I guess I've watched it about 20 times.  Some of it has become cheesey to me, but there is a lot of unintentional spiritual truth in that film that I still enjoy chewing on.
 
(Please stay with me.  I know it's just a movie.  But, don't you find it fascinating that these script writers have produced something that is profound and timeless?  I do. Without intention, they have echoed scriptural truth very powerfully.)
 
This is one of my favorite scenes in the movie.  The villain has the hero in a vice grip, beaten and taunted down to a subway rail as the train approaches.  Then, the hero draws on the speck of strength left in his frame, and gets the better of his foe.
 
Agent Smith: Do you hear that Mr. Anderson?  That is the sound of inevitability... it is the sound of your death.  Goodbye, Mr. Anderson.
Neo: My name... is Neo.
 
The victory is all about identity.
 
I am one of those old school Christians that believes there is a real enemy, a Satan, whose power and purpose is to give the screws to God by seizing and destroying His beloved creation.  I've not seen him, but I've heard him in my head.  The accuser.  The destroyer.  The blasphemer.
 
"Do you hear that, Pat?  That is the sound of inevitability.  That is the sound of your failure, your loneliness, your incredibility, your benign existence..." 
 
You fill in the blanks.   I'm sure you've heard it too.
 
The catch is this...there is so much truth in the accusation, it's tough to argue.  If I am held accountable for my efforts alone, I am so sunk.  Like a big, friggin stone.  My life, on it's own record, is riddled with failure.
 
That's why I love this movie.  Neo, the hero, remembers who he is.  Not what he is, or where he came from , or what he's done.  He remembers who he is proclaimed to be, who he is hoped to be.  And, who it is that believes in him.
 
That is the message of the gospel of Jesus Christ.  We come under the authority of One who claims to know us better than we know ourselves, and thereby we become free of the inevitable.   This gives me great cause to rejoice.
 
Thank you, Wachowski Brothers.  Unknowing prophets.  Accidental preachers.  You nailed it.  I hope you come to know the identity you have preached of so well.
 
 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

|

Powered by Blogger

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com