Just Pat

"...all language about everything is analogical; we think in a series of metaphors. We can explain nothing in terms of itself, but only in terms of other things." (Dorothy Sayers, Mind of the Maker, 1941)

My Photo
Name:
Location: West Michigan

Friday, July 30, 2004

My Dead Friends

I'm contemplating Polycarp today. A few weeks ago, Headless asked me who I'd like to see when I get to heaven. Old Polycarp was one of them.

The story of his martyrdom is, like most early church literature, wordy and flowery. But, I still love it. I wonder what it would be like to be a second-wave disciple. The first generation, taught by the eye witnesses of Jesus while he lived among us in flesh. Thought to be a cult, yet full of the Holy Spirit and confident in the truth. Under horrible persecution by the ruling government. Without the New Testament canon.

If you've never heard of Polycarp, read his story in my "Dead" links at the left. Tell me what you think.

I'll be away at a family reunion for a few days. Stay tuned for more of My Dead Friends (cripe...I have the "My Three Sons theme song ringing in my head now...).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

|

Powered by Blogger

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com