Just Pat

"...all language about everything is analogical; we think in a series of metaphors. We can explain nothing in terms of itself, but only in terms of other things." (Dorothy Sayers, Mind of the Maker, 1941)

My Photo
Name:
Location: West Michigan

Thursday, August 26, 2004

My Friend Chuck

I was first introduced to Charles Finney through and article in a Last Days Newsletter. I can't remember which article, but I was so intrigued by his preaching that I bought his memoirs. And, that began our friendship, or should I say, his mentorship in my life. I've added him to my "cloud of witnesses" on the links, to the left.

I like Charles Finney for so many reasons. First, because he read the scriptures as he saw them written, not through the lens of the prevailing Christian influence of his world. He was studying law, and began to study the Bible as he studied law. And, he was captured. A brief description of his conversion is contained in the link.

I like him because, even when he didn't understand why he was dry or empty spiritually, he kept pressing into God, and he kept promoting the kingdom of God. I like him because he wouldn't let people get away with their warm fuzzy feelings of rightness with God; he made sure they understood their need for repentence and salvation. I like him because he was faithful to his sense of duty to God, to the church, and to society.

One of my favorite scriptures is so because of Finney. He came upon this verse when he was wrestling with the idea that, after years of ministry, perhaps he had never repented and entered the kingdom (moody and introspective, these prophets of God!) And the Lord gave him Psalm 139 (KJV - hear the poetry and the words as he heard them):

" Whither shall I go from thy spirit? or whither shall I flee from thy presence? If I ascend up to heaven, thou art there: if I make my bed in hell, behold, thou art there. If I take the wings of the morning, and dwell in the uttermost parts of the sea; even there shall thy hand lead me, and thy right hand shall hold me. Yea, the darkness hideth not from thee; but the night shineth as the day: the darkness and the light are both alike to thee."

That has been my friend Chuck's greatest sermon to my life. To encourage me to expect to find God in the dark. He is not a fragile God. He is bigger than my faithlessness.

So, if you haven't met Chuck yet, drop by and tell him I sent you.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

|

Powered by Blogger

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com