Just Pat

"...all language about everything is analogical; we think in a series of metaphors. We can explain nothing in terms of itself, but only in terms of other things." (Dorothy Sayers, Mind of the Maker, 1941)

My Photo
Name:
Location: West Michigan

Wednesday, August 04, 2004

The Will of the People

I ate my lunch in my car today, and listened to an interview on Christian radio with a woman who was highly involved with the campaign for the gay marriage amendment to the Missouri constitution. The amendment specifies that legal marriage in Missouri will be between one man and one woman. Seventy-three percent of the voters voted for the amendment.
The woman being interviewed said "the will of the people" was done.
Two minutes later, this woman gave God credit for the victory.
I'm frustrated.
Not because I don't value our freedom to vote. Not because I am in favor of gay marriage. Not because I don't believe God is involved with our daily affairs.
The will of the people put Jesus on the cross. The will of the people has sent millions of Christians to their martyrdom. The will of the people has justified horrible atrocities - even in the name of Christ - and destroyed cultures and families. Yes, families.
The will of the people is fickle.
The will of the people is a sorry excuse for a Christian to give for getting his or her agenda on top.
And, giving God credit for a victory that we have already claimed as our own is, at best, cheap, and at worst, blasphemous.
What happens when the will of the people approves what we oppose? What then? What are the weapons of our warfare, Christian? Will we threaten? Will we pout? Will we pray?
And then, when we lose, does that mean God didn't do his job? Really, what does it mean?
What is the will of God? Really? Is it that we keep the flood of humanity - in all its grasping for life in whatever way it will - at bay, behind our bible dam? What?
There was nothing in that radio show that bolstered my faith, other than that it firmed my resolve to want to hear the voice of the One who loves us.
Sorry, Mike Wittmer, but I just gots to sing, "This world is not my home, I'm just a passin' thru..."

1 Comments:

Blogger spookyrach said...

You have sharpened the focus. Thanks!

12:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

|

Powered by Blogger

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com