Just Pat

"...all language about everything is analogical; we think in a series of metaphors. We can explain nothing in terms of itself, but only in terms of other things." (Dorothy Sayers, Mind of the Maker, 1941)

My Photo
Name:
Location: West Michigan

Tuesday, November 30, 2004

Identity

My friend and I went out tonight. We always have the greatest discussions when we get together. I'm a Christian, she's a Buddhist. I don't define our friendship by our differing religious views, but they're there, and they're interesting.

She told me that she intimidates people. I told her she never intimidated me. She replied that the reason was that I was secure in my identity.

It was a wonderful, gracious compliment. She is a wonderful, gracious friend. Why did it feel so lonely when she said it?

My heart's desire is for my friend to know Jesus. The Jesus that loves her, that has grace for her seeking and prodding for truth, who whispers to her in her dreams. The Jesus that gave His life, and calls her to lay down her own. The Giver of life and of rest. The Friend who sticks closer than a brother. I want my friend to love Him.

Am I closed minded for wanting such a thing? Because I can't say to her that I'm glad she has found peace in Buddhist philosphy? Do I want her to know Jesus, or in some twisted way do I want her to be like me?

Do missionaries think about these things?

She said I'm secure in my identity. But I know I'm secure because my identity is in Jesus. He is everything to me. How do I express that to someone who has been there, done that, and chosen Buddha over Jesus? How do I hear her response without weeping at it?

Should I just weep anyway?

I love Jesus. I love my friend. I'll just keep loving them both. Holy Spirit, come.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

|

Powered by Blogger

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com