Just Pat

"...all language about everything is analogical; we think in a series of metaphors. We can explain nothing in terms of itself, but only in terms of other things." (Dorothy Sayers, Mind of the Maker, 1941)

My Photo
Name:
Location: West Michigan

Wednesday, November 03, 2004

Right Brain or Left Brain?



A few days ago, I was killing time and thought I'd find one of those websites that gives you a test to determine if you're a left-brain or right-brain person. I took the test a few years ago, on a couple different occasions. My results back then were that I was dead center.

I thought that was pretty fun. I jokingly fancied my self a balanced person that was constantly in conflict with herself.

When I took the test the other night, guess what? Perfect center, and perfectly balanced between auditory and visual learning preferences. After about five years, I'm the same old girl. Wow, thought I.


Then, like an idiot, I read my summary.

...You will tend to feel more conflict than someone who has a
clearly established dominance...Details which will seem important to the right
hemis- phere will be discounted by the left and vice versa, which can present a
hindrance to learning efficiently...You might organize your time and/or space
only to feel the need to reorganize five to ten weeks later...When presented
with situations which force purely visual or purely auditory learning, increased
anxiety is likely and your learning efficiency will decrease... Your balanced
nature might lead you to second-guess yourself in artistic endeavors, losing
some of the fluidity, spontaneity and creativity that otherwise would be yours.
It also said I was able to see the big picture and the details at the same time, and that I am flexible. WOO HOOOO!!!!!!!!

So, I took my conflicted, disorganized, second-guessing hiney and did what any balanced woman would do - I straightened my desk five times and went to bed.

3 Comments:

Blogger Pat said...

Well, okay Dutch, if you say so! I couldn't change if I wanted to, if after five years I'm the same center brainer chic. :-)
It was a fun test, wasn't it?

1:19 PM  
Blogger Mawci said...

I love the picture - reminds me of a push-me-pull-you from Dr. Doolittle. Are you a push-me-pull-you?

5:11 PM  
Blogger Pat said...

Hey stinky!! Nope, I'm a push-me-pull-ME. And you know what? I found this picture by putting push-me-pull-you in the search engine!

5:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

|

Powered by Blogger

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com