Just Pat

"...all language about everything is analogical; we think in a series of metaphors. We can explain nothing in terms of itself, but only in terms of other things." (Dorothy Sayers, Mind of the Maker, 1941)

My Photo
Name:
Location: West Michigan

Sunday, March 13, 2005

Just stupid stuff

I laughed hard twice in the last hour.

The first hard laugh: I watched "Monty Python and the Holy Grail" for the first time. It was taboo when it played at the theater when I was a teen. So, not being a theater-goer movie-watcher type of gal, it took 30 years for me to decide to watch it. The magic happened when I thought it was near the end, and the music played as I stared at a blank screen waiting for the chaos to resume. The phrases of the piece changed just slightly enough to make me think that the next scene was coming. But NOOOOOO...the same introductory measure popped up again and I waited. And I became impatient, but I remembered that I felt that way earlier in the movie and I was rewarded for the pause. Then the music changed a little and I sat on the edge of my seat...then that same annoying intro measure and I waited. And I waited, and then the music changed and then, after five minutes of waiting, it's...it's...the end! The friggin' end! IT WAS GENIUS!!!

Okay, THEN I went to my computer to see if the monk chants were faux latin or the real thing. Yeah, I'm kind of obsessive that way. Anyway, I had no internet connection. So, I did other things for a couple of hours, then I returned to no internet connection, which meant no latin and that just wouldn't do. So, I pulled out my phone book (which I don't do much because I like to look up numbers online) and called SBC Yahoo DSL Help. I got James, who helped me but who helped me like a helper who wants to help but doesn't have a clue how to be helpful. I found myself coaching him to help me. Maybe it's me, but I swear, I don't think I should have had to help him that much. The best part was at the end of the call, where I had finally passed every stage of the cyber gauntlet and had achieved connection once more, and James gave me his send off speech, which went something like, "My name is James, and if you ever need further assistance you may find it by going to help.sbcglobal.net and have a nice night goodby." Okay...if I ever can't use my browser again, I should enter the magic url and I will be miraculously transported to a cyber assistant who will save James and his ilk from the likes of me. I didn't even say goodby. I think he had already hung up.

I never thought lack of satisfaction could be so much fun.

2 Comments:

Blogger patrick said...

No wonder I haven't heard from you for awhile...U R A Blogaholic! Step 1: Admit that you are and that your lifge has become unmanagable. We'll start from there in your recovery Pat. Remember the first day is the hardest than it gets easier. Love ya, Patrick

12:08 PM  
Blogger Pat said...

You're almost right: I'm really a home improvement -aholic. Blogging is just one of those peripheral behaviors that indicates the real addiction beneath.
Welcome to my yard!

1:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

|

Powered by Blogger

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com