Just Pat

"...all language about everything is analogical; we think in a series of metaphors. We can explain nothing in terms of itself, but only in terms of other things." (Dorothy Sayers, Mind of the Maker, 1941)

My Photo
Name:
Location: West Michigan

Friday, September 23, 2005

Construction and Company

I have a frightened newcomer to my humble construction zone hiding in the foyer beneath a stool that Dick made. When I call his name - Kirby - he gets all wide eyed and vulnerable and walks toward me, assumes the petting posture, then hisses as I pet him. Poor boy. Change sucks. It's okay to hiss.

Babette is doing fine, but I'm watching her. It's my intention to keep her queen of the Paris house until she abdicates by death. So far, Kirby is a distant subject in Foyerstershire - not yet a threat, and perhaps a benign subject open to her benevolence.

In the mean time, I've finished my homework for the night, and I'm thinking about tomorrow. I'll be stripping my door jambs and my window openings, and sanding my last (yes!) door and all those funky little square blocks that go underneath the trim and butt up against the baseboard. Yeah - those.

I went to Menards today to find mullions for my bedroom windows and eight-inch baseboard for my bedroom and hallway. Mistake. Poor guy - he sort of tried. It was apparent 45 seconds into our encounter that he is a slave to moderation. Oh no, we can't special order any mullion but that one on the shelf (which was 1/4 inch too small). No ma'am, we don't carry any eight inch base board. Hmmmph. I can't blame him really. I went to Menards when I know full well I should have gone to Terry Lieffers. What was I thinking?

I've picked out my carpet for the second floor. Moss green twist. I almost hate going with it because I have so much green in my house already, but I think it will work well. I'm so excited that I CAN EVEN THINK ABOUT CARPET FOR FLOOR TWO!!

So now it's off to bed, alone but curious if Kirby will jump up on the bed, rub my leg and hiss at me.

2 Comments:

Blogger Headless-in-GR said...

You have a new KITTY????? Picture! Picture!

9:33 AM  
Blogger Captainwow said...

Well that answers my question!
KITTY!!!! WEEEEEEEE!!!!!! I can't wait to meet him!

10:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

|

Powered by Blogger

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com